Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Paternal Instincts (non-fiction w. inserts)


The large dusty boulders are circled with dry, tall weeds. The leopard crawls over them, dropping into the tiny den. He emerges a moment later with a cub he has killed. Three more times he slides between the speckled grey rocks, killing the litter. A year later four new cubs are four months old. He watches as his cubs clamber and play on the rocks.

When we moved away I missed him. I dreamt he and I shared a bath. He was washing my hair and laughing. It felt so good to be close to him. His loving eyes were set in a strangely red face, which was framed with a goatee and horns. His barbed tail waved in the background before the doorway to the screened-in balcony were we slept one summer night as a family, overlooking the yard where my brothers and I were cowboys and Indians, pirates, and Tarzan.

He was a powerful man. Strong, quick, and he knew so much. He smelled of diesel, grease, grain, and sweat. He was a mysterious giant, a god, and they told me I looked so much like him. I leaned in doorways with my arms folded the way he did, and tried to swagger. And I tried to be powerful, strong, and quick.

I couldn’t do anything right. Not for him. I poured too much oil in the truck. I couldn’t pick up a hubcap stuck in a pile of dirt with the track loader racing over it at full throttle. I couldn’t even find a date (“I think the kid’s a fucking homosexual!”). I couldn’t even pick up sticks and debris right (“Get back to work! I want to see nothing but assholes and elbows!”).

The stag, protecting his harem from predators, hunters, winter, and other males, begins the process again. The cows have foaled, and the young scamper and play in hidden meadows. The young males tussle and play that will lead to real contests of strength in the fall. Some will push others out, but in the end, at least this year, all the young bulls will lose. Their patriarch will push them out, protecting his herd from within as well as from without.

My father loved me. I think he was just disappointed. I read too much for him. Or talked too much. Or thought too much. Perhaps the first-born should be different. Mike was agile enough, mechanical enough, more libido-driven.

In our teens Dad did share a dream of his with us, and so we built, Dad and us three boys, the Gxxxxxxxf Ranch. Too bad we lost it to Mom and my stepfather for back child support.

There were a couple of strange incidents after we moved under his roof. Once, in San Clemente, an old tall house was coming down so that a new tall house could stand on long stilt-like toes on the cliff’s edge, to better peer at the crashing surf below.

Mike and I played with the fire hoses to keep cool while my dad mixed screwdrivers. I was taking a nap when a shaft of water from the three inch line woke me, pushed me, and finally knocked me off my feet. We laughed and I plotted revenge.

After lunch Dad started the loader and yelled for us to grab the bucket. Mike and I jumped to catch the edge of the dinosaur-like machine, its neck stretched out level, its jaws closed. It raised up; our bodies swung against its cool metal chin while the ground dropped away. I had grabbed the sharp cutting edge and shifted quickly to a rounded metal tooth. Gently the bucket rolled downward until we could see him at the controls, laughing, cheering us for our strength.

The machine clanked slowly forward; he was watching us carefully to see if we were weakening. He looked proud of us. We watched the ground roll beneath our feet, then the rocky cliff edge, the vertical slope embracing open space, and the surf forty feet below. Under us sea gulls were dancing on foaming water.

He was smiling. Mike and I glanced at each other. This was hard!

Slowly the bucket tipped forward, its front edge lowering to dump. The bucket’s interior turned from a shelf to a downward slope. When the level was greater than 45 degrees dirt slid out, dusting Mike and me as we clung to the metal teeth of the steel-jawed monster. Dad was no longer smiling.

There was a quick up and down shake; we held on. Neither Mike nor I yelled. Abruptly the bucket tipped back up, and the mechanical dragon retreated to the pile of crushed house waiting for the truck to return from the dump.



3 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

That had my heart pounding hard. Must have been scary, very scary.

8:57 AM, July 12, 2005  
Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said...

It seems that when your writing turns either meloncholy or sentimental, you sip into passive-verb mode. Stories like this don't read as fast and clear as your others above.

5:00 PM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said...

When I say the "above" stories, I mean only the true ones. They are the only ones I read. (I just can't stomach fiction.)

5:05 PM, May 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter placed June 29, 2005